Hello there. My name is Özgün Balaban. I'm a computational design researcher and an electrical engineer. I am involved in research in the areas of architectural computation, big data, machine learning, heritage, GIS, game design, urban data, BIM, and robotics in architecture.
From 2016 to 2019, I was a doctoral researcher in FCL in the Big Data-Informed Urban Design and Governance group. I hold a PhD in architecture from Singapore University of Technology and Design and a Master of Science (MSc) in Architectural Design Computing from Istanbul Technical University. Lastly, I was a postdoctoral researcher at TU Delft.
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation, MS Historic Preservation, Columbia University2022Masterclass Machine Learning
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment, Chair of Design Informatics, TU Delft2020 - 2021IEBB 4.3 Project - Digitizing the Renovation Process - 3D Printing and Logistics
- Adjunct Lecturer, Architectural Design Computing Program, Istanbul Technical University2019 - currentMBL549E - Special Topics in Architectural Design Computing - Machine Learning in Architecture (MSc Course) - Spring 2021MBL617E - Special Topics in Architectural Design Computing - Theory and Methods in Digital Heritage(with Assoc. Prof. Guzden Varinlioglu) (Phd Course) - Spring 2020MBL549E - Special Topics in Architectural Design Computing - Machine Learning in Architecture (MSc Course) - Spring 2020
- Adjunct Lecturer, Faculty of Arts, Design and Architecture, MEF University2019 - 2020ARC 451 - Game Design
- PhD. Researcher, Future Cities Laboratory, Big Data-Informed Urban Design and Governance2016 to 2019I was involved in my PhD research and Ideas for Tanjong Pagar project.
- Architect & BIM Specialist, Turkmall Real Estate2013I was involved in several mall designs, and I was responsible for the firm in switching to the BIM process in design.
- Student Assistant, Architectural Design Computing Program, Istanbul Technical University2009-2013Helped Prof. Gülen Çağdaş for various tasks such as web design of the department, preparation of some scripts to be used in the lectures etc.
- Design Computing, Tuncer Çakmaklı Architects2011Design computing for dolapdere piyalepasa urban regeneration project & Camlica Antenna Tower Project Competition.
- Mountain Guide(part-time), Sobek Travel2004 to 2009Guided several mountain climbs to mountain ranges such as Taurus, Mt. Ararat (5136 m.) for foreigners (Germans, Spanish, Belgians etc.)
- 2019Thesis: Understanding Urban Leisure Walking Behaviour: Correlations between Neighbourhood Features and Fitness Tracking Data
Thesis Advisor: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Bige Tunçer
- PhD. in Architectural Design Computing, Istanbul Technical University2014I have started my PhD, finished the class requirement and passed QE. But I have not completed the PhD because of the lack of funding and acceptance from SUTD.
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Gülen Çağdaş
- MSc. Architectural Design Computing, Istanbul Technical University2012Thesis: Automated Code Compliance Checking: A System for Checking Fire Codes
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Gülen Çağdaş